don't postpone joy

Monday, June 26, 2006

War is not the answer...

I have had a crush on "this guy" for months. Last night we spent a little over 3 hours on the phone, and I'm certain he never wants to talk to me again.
After an hour of extremely intimate give and take about life love and happiness...we moved on, to politics. We talked about what's happening in Iraq.
what we're doing, what we've been doing, doesn't work. and we expect it to. that's the definition of insanity. The conversation was extremely passionate. Both parties have a firm grip on what they believe serves this planet most productively.
At the end of 2 more hours of heated discussion, he labled me a pacifist (which, I don't think war is morally wrong. I think morals are ineffective......anyway) and told me that since I don't believe in what our country is up to in the middle east, I should move to a different country AND that I must be a sympathizer. that I must agree with the Taliban, since I am not outraged, and do not demand retribution for the people who died on 9/11. retribution? killing as a solution to killing? because I have evolved into a being who does not hate?
wow
he was so filled with anger. toward me. not just the situation. but because I do not agree with planned killing as an effective means to procure peace.
I haven't ever had a conversation like that.
fortunately he and I had that conversation, I'm convinced, so that we could both be exposed to something new for each of us.
My dear newlywed friend, thinks I need to find a way to stop running into people who are so opposite my value system. for a minute I was right on board with that. It's my prerogative to change my mind, though.
I'm glad he was able to see my shoes, even if he chooses not to walk in them.
Really, all I am saying is GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

4 Comments:

At 26 June, 2006 11:42, Blogger Osbasso said...

This is the main reason I don't get into political discussions. You never know how rabid the other person may be. This guy sounds a little extreme to me...

Hope things aren't too bad.

 
At 28 June, 2006 15:01, Blogger daisyduke said...

I see no reason not to get into them. If I stay away they don't get to opportunity to be exposed to another idea...it's worth it to me~

 
At 28 June, 2006 19:36, Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry you had to be exposed to such blatant bullshit dear woman...

 
At 29 June, 2006 11:11, Blogger ~Tim said...

It always amazes me when people don't see the hypocrisy of telling someone they should leave our country because they have a different opinion. Isn't freedom of speech -- and the freedom to disagree -- part of what we fight for?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home